Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Sixteenth Sunday


This Sunday dinner, delightful though it was, was put together quickly and eaten in the kitchen as we started out late and the dining table was full of stuff we're trying to sell on ebay.

The meal was a light one consisting of a multi-grain baguette, asparagus soup, tilapia on a bed of vegies en papillote (fingerling potatoes, sweet potatoes, leek, carrots, mushrooms) wheat couscous and for dessert fruit crepes. Yes, the theme was healthy with a touch of decadence. Can you tell which part was my favorite? If you guessed the crepes, get out of my head you.... Click on the picture above to get the full visual story.

Having made crepes a long, long, long, time ago, I was a bit trepidacious to experience the wonders of everything sticking to the pan. Luckily, Jr. was not a bit afraid and he whipped up the batter in a matter of seconds. The batter was refrigerated for two hours and the meal eaten. The asparagus soup was delicious, although some found it a bit too leeky-- by some-- I really mean -- one onion hater. The recipe comes from the Fine Cooking pureed soups recipe. The fish in papillote (with some yummy additions) was from Alton Brown's basic recipe. My one gripe is with myself, for although we cut the vegies thinly, the potatoes should have been steamed or par-boiled in order to be ready at the same time as the fish fillets. Some of the potatoes could have been cooked a tad longer, but I feared making the fish tough. Next time, I will take the time to parboil. I added to Alton's (we are on first name basis) recipe, some lemon zest, garlic powder, hot red pepper and lemon. I recommend seasoning the layers as you go along. The flavor was rather good. The couscous was a perfect foil for the fish and all the juices accumulated in the papillote. The star of the show was my electric crepe pan. I bought it at an estate sale on half-off day about two years ago. I think it cost us all of $2.00. Oh happy day! I still remember that sale! Nothing stuck to the pan and it was truly easy to make. The batter made enough to feed us dessert that night, breakfast for one and dessert again last night. Yumm... Jr. has been suggesting that we make some more tonight and believe me I'm tempted (I'm even smacking my lips...). Only my weight-loss competition with my sister keeps me from saying YES, YES, and again YES. Check back with me tomorrow to see if I I've kept strong.



Here is the recipe for the sweet (and really delicious) crepe batter based on the one from Cook's Illustrated.
Sweet Crepes
2 eggs
1 c milk (you can use skim or low fat)
6 tablespoons water
1 c flour
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons granulated sugar
1 teaspoon each vanilla and cinammon
3 tablespoons unsalted melted butter PLUS extra for brushing pan

1. Mix all ingredients (except extra melted butter) in food processor until smooth batter is formed; refrigerate at least 2 hours or, if desired, up to 2 days.
2. Gently stir batter if ingredients have separated. Heat 6- to 7-inch crepe pan or heavy skillet over medium-high heat. Brush pan bottom and sides very lightly with butter, which should sizzle when it hits pan. When butter stops sizzling, pour 1/4 cup batter. Cook until mottled brown on bottom, loosening crepe to check doneness, 30 seconds to 1 minute. Flip the crepe and cook until spotty brown on other side, about 30 seconds longer.
3. Place cooked crepe on plate and repeat, brushing the every two to three crepes. (Crepes can be double-wrapped in plastic and refrigerated up to 3 days or frozen up to 2 months.)

I made a fruit sauce using 2 tablespoons butter, 2 tablespoons orange juice, 2 tablespoons sugar, 1 teaspoon vanilla, a banana, some strawberries and an orange peeled and the pith removed. I melted the butter and sugar together added the orange juice and cooked it down a bit. Then I added the fruit and cooked it just a bit. I set the fruit aside, poured some sauce on each crepe added some fruit and dolloped it with some plain yogurt.




No comments:

Post a Comment