Saturday, March 14, 2009

Warning... Graphic Image Follows!



All over the household I'm finding these little squashed bodies -- even one on Lydia's nose. I know that they are not ladybugs from doing some research on the inter-web but that they are the notorious, and often misunderstood faux ladybugs -- the "multi-colored Asian lady beetles." (Click on the link for more information on this little lady.)

Every winter some manage to work there way into our house. In the spring and sometimes on a mild winter's day some come out and play footsie with the lights. I don't mind them, and they don't mind me. We generally ignore each other pretty well and I know they are wonderful for the garden.

I do not have an infestation, just a small occupation during a few months and I'm okay with that.

I am the first to admit that an occasional kamikaze lady beetle has faced the back of my hand, but I am for the most part, mindful of them. I try to usher them outside or place them out of harms way when I encounter said friends. This spring however, I have noticed many, many of their little dead bodies. In my bathroom alone (last night) I counted 6 bodies (squashed) on the floor.
So what is happening? Have I given into a hatred unbeknownst to my waking consciousness and in a fit of rage killed in my sleep... or has Lydia decided they might make an interesting topping/snack... or is it just a natural lady beetle catastrophe? Is it something in the air? I just don't know.

What is your opinion?

2 comments: