Friday, February 27, 2009

Tomay-toe, Tomah-toe Any Way You Say it I heart Tomatoes



During this time of almost-Spring my thoughts turn to vegetable gardens, flowers and TOMATOES -- big ones, small ones, red ones, yellow ones, purple ones even striped ones.Lately I've been bombarded via mail and email with images of plants and vegetables, and I WANT THEM ALL. Unfortunately all the choicest plants (especially vegetables) require something I don't have.... sun.

Our backyard has four enormous trees and a plethora of very hungry bunny rabbits and squirrels. This makes for a very traumatic environment for most vegetable plants. But I dream... and every year we try -- we take out our mini seed greenhouse and with much patience and love plant the seeds. We make sure they get enough sun and that each flat remains moist and is turned regularly. We cheer on our little seedlings and celebrate each new petal and leaf. But it really it is all for naught. We know that once they are outside, most will succumb to the shade and those that survive are a shadow of what they should be. Still a few trips to the local nursery invariably leads to the purchase of one or more tomato plants (including the annual try at Mr. Stripey).

Our spidery tomato plants will desperately seek the sun and with their last breath will probably be able to squeeze out two or three tomatoes. Lydia seems to enjoy them as much as the squirrels and we do. I know I should just focus on shade plants, but hope springs eternal and this summer you'll like as not find me outside talking to the tomatoes.

2 comments: