Tuesday, June 23, 2009

25th Sunday It’s Father’s Day!

webtableset webgreens
webpork webchoccake

Oh Daddy -- what a meal was had on Sunday! The menu was not too ambitious -- but boy it was delicious. I wish you could have been there (and you just might have…) . The grill was put into overdrive with boneless pork country ribs marinated with mushroom soy and sake, potato packets with asparagus, corn on the cob, fresh bread, refried black beans, beet salad with goat cheese and walnuts, fresh grilled green onions, fresh salsa, dark-chocolate cake and vanilla ice cream. The usual suspects cooked and cleaned for the meal and a merry time was had by all. Unexpectedly and very happily we were joined by our favorite tired and very parched s’laws for dessert. Although everything was quite good, to me the star of the meal was of course the dark chocolate cake suggested by my favorite penguin. The cake recipe can be found here at this link. My one change was in the frosting where I added 1/4 cup of cream cheese to add a little “sumpin sumpin.” YUMMY!

I guess I should mention the guests of honor for whom I have only the greatest admiration, love and respect. Here’s to the Dads! Hip Hip Hooray! Below is the current favorite salad recipe of the resident Dad. Happy Father’s Day all!

Roasted Beet Salad with Walnuts and Goat Cheese:
2 small roasted beets peeled and cubed
1/4 cup toasted walnuts halves (chopped) -- use a sauté pan on low heat
2 small heads bib greens ( I like the butter lettuce best)
4 ounces goat cheese crumbled
Dressing:
1.5 tablespoons olive oil
1 teaspoon red wine vinegar
salt and pepper to taste

Combine the salad ingredients then add the dressing… I know it’s hard to believe but that’s it… delicious.

3 comments:

  1. The roasted beet salad is beyond words, and has leaped (leapt?) into my "desert island" food list!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. And we attest to the 'Death by Chocolate' cake...awesome!

    ReplyDelete