Tuesday, January 4, 2011

On Reading and Recipes 2011

I’m happy to report that on both the reading and writing front, the year has started out swimmingly. For the past two years, Anne Tyler’s Dinner at the Homesick Restaurant has been staring at me from my bookshelf. At long last, I took her off the shelf and had my way with her. I don’t  believe it is her best work, but I did enjoy the story enough to be interested in finishing the book within two days. The characters were fascinating; the interactions and family dynamics riveting; the plot dynamic,  but the ending was definitely phoned in. Still, all in all I gave it 3.5 stars out of 4.

The recipe --- Farro with Roasted Asparagus was a result of a New Year’s resolution to try new and a more varied menu. It was delicious, healthy, and easy to make. I found the recipe on the Fine Cooking website.  I’m including the recipe here so that I’ll  never – ever – ever – forget. If you try it, I’m sure you’ll never – ever - ever want to forget either. I wish I had a great picture to post, but the Farro was gone before I could whip the camera out.

Roasted Broccoli and Farro Salad with Feta

Kosher salt
3/4 cup farro (either pearled or whole-grain)
1 lb. broccoli
3 Tbs. extra-virgin olive oil
1/2 cup crumbled feta
2 scallions, thinly sliced
Pinch crushed red pepper flakes
2 Tbs. coarsely chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
1 Tbs. red wine vinegar; more as needed

Position a rack in the center of the oven and heat the oven to 400°F. In a 4-quart saucepan, bring 2 quarts of well-salted water to a boil over high heat. Boil the farro in the water until tender, 20 to 30 minutes for pearled and 45 to 60 minutes for whole grain. Drain well and transfer to a large bowl.
Meanwhile, remove the broccoli crown from the stem and cut into bitesize florets. Peel and halve the stem lengthwise, then cut crosswise into 1/4-inch-thick slices. On a rimmed baking sheet, toss the broccoli florets and stems with 2 Tbs. of the olive oil. Roast until tender and browned in spots, about 20 minutes.
Add the broccoli, feta, scallions, red pepper flakes, and parsley to the farro. Sprinkle with the vinegar and 1 tsp. salt and toss. Drizzle with the remaining 1 Tbs. olive oil and toss. Season to taste with more vinegar and salt. Serve warm or at room temperature.

No comments:

Post a Comment